Monday, February 12, 2018

Music Review: MOLLUSC "MOLLUSC EP" (it records)


https://itrecordsmelb.bandcamp.com/album/mollusc-ep

Within the first few seconds of listening to something I can tell if I'm going to like it or not.   I usually will listen to the entire first song (at least) even if I don't think I'm going to like it but when I pressed play on this MOLLUSC EP there was no doubt in my mind I was in love.   I just didn't know how much I would like it.   On the surface, MOLLUSC has a sound like Nine Inch Nails only not.   It's like they are this inverted form of NIN somehow, which might not make sense unless you hear these songs.

These songs can be grinding but can also make you dance.   They remind me of that one song Garbage did for the "Romeo and Juliet" soundtrack.   Since they tend to be on the darker side as well, I could just as easily see them as being part of a soundtrack such as "The Crow".   There are not a lot of comparisons in terms of other musicians simply because MOLLUSC is unlike anything I've ever heard before.

When I think of these sort of electronic/synth based beats and rhythms that you'll hear from MOLLUSC, I tend to think of something more simple.   There is usually just one or two layers of sound- a bass line or drums and then synth or guitar and maybe vocals.   These songs have multiple layers of vocals and more instruments than any other artist in this genre.  I don't want to name names, but if you think of the electronic/synth based artists you are familiar with, just think of how their music can be somewhat one dimensional (Which is *not* a bad thing) and just imagine it being more complex and you'll have an idea of what MOLLUSC is about.

A song such as "Relief" has these great synth beats that would be more than enough for a basis of a song and then on top of that there are these killer guitar riffs.   It's just that addition- that extra step that these songs go to which others don't- that makes this so special because, and I can't stress this enough, other artists which MOLLUSC could be compared only to think of the others as "simple" is still not a bad thing.   MOLLUSC is just creating a more complex version of something I already enjoy (and you likely do as well) and as such that just makes it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment